Fundamentals of Aesthetic Lasers
Aesthetic laser treatments have expanded into many specialties with a broad spectrum of clinical applications continuing to evolve. This comprehensive full day, 8-hour course is intended for physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses and other health care professionals.
The purpose of this course is to provide the practitioner with an introduction to the basic science of aesthetic laser physics. A detailed review of the clinical application of lasers and essential information about safety standards, precautions and procedures will be covered. In an interactive lecture format, we will discuss the concepts of light and the electromagnetic spectrum, how laser light is produced and how lasers affect tissue. There will be a review of wavelengths and types of lasers: intense pulsed light, radiofrequency and other light sources. These key basic concepts will help practitioners understand the clinical applications of laser technology with regards to a variety of patient procedures including: indications, contraindications, specific treatments, follow up care, side effects and complications. The afternoon session will provide both interactive discussion and demonstrations of select laser systems and applications.
Laser safety training is required for all personnel who operate or work with lasers. A review of the suggested ANSI policies and Non – surgical procedures with regards to personnel and patient safety will help practitioners establish a safe laser program for their practice. A discussion of new technologies including laser assisted lipolysis, home hair removal systems and other emerging trends will also be addressed.
Course Content Includes
- What is Light?
- Laser Physics
- Laser Tissue Interaction
- Selective Photothermolysis
- Wavelengths and Devices
Review of Clinical Applications
- Ablative Skin Resurfacing, Fractional Thermolysis, Hair Reduction, Vascular and Pigmented Lesions, Acne Treatments, Tattoo Removal, Non-Ablative Skin Rejuvenation
- Indications, Contraindications, Follow Up Care, Side Effects, Complications
ANSI Standards and Laser Safety
- OSHA, Eye Protection, Hazard Evaluation, Control Measures, Safety Training, Non-Beam Hazards
- Safety Principles and Protocols
Each course participant receives
- Bound manual
- CD containing templates for all appropriate forms
- Laminated pearls sheet and quick reference guide
- Certificate of Course Completion