The Effects Menopause Has On Skin and How to Treat It
Menopause is a process that eventually affects all women, and comes with numerous side effects including hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, and of course, skin changes. Menopause plays a role in accelerating the aging process in relation to the appearance of our skin. This is attributed to the reduced levels of estrogen being produced. Estrogen protects skin from aging by promoting collagen production, increasing skin thickness, reducing wrinkles, and increasing hydration. So when a decline in estrogen occurs, the skin begins to age more rapidly.
Some of the effects that menopause can have on the skin include:
- Shifting of fat pads and overall loss of volume in the face
- Acne and Oily skin
- Changes in pigment and overall tone
- Less production and repair of collagen
- Thinner epidermis
- Age spots and sun damage
- Facial Hair
Treatments that can help your skin and your confidence:
- Dermal Fillers: Hyaluronic Acid dermal fillers such as Restylane Lyft or Juvederm Voluma XC, which are designed specifically for lifting and contouring the cheeks. This can be beneficial for patients who have experienced overall loss of volume in the face.
- Neurotoxins: Neurotoxins such as Botox and Dysport, can be used to help treat patients who are experiencing more lines and wrinkles as a result of menopause.
- Lasers: Laser treatments can help improve the texture of the skin
- Peels: Chemical peels help encourage growth of new skin by promoting exfoliation of the old dead skin cells.. They can help with fine lines and wrinkles, but can also improve the overall texture and clarity of the skin.
- Sunscreen: We cannot stress the importance of sunscreen enough. Using sunscreen routinely, is a great way to prevent aging of the skin, but is also vital during and after menopause as the skin is more delicate and prone to UV Damage.
- Laser Hair Removal: For those patients who experience more facial hair thanks to menopause, laser hair removal might be an appropriate solution.
Menopause can really take its toll on a woman’s skin and cause her skin to age more rapidly. Thankfully, there are a number of treatment options available to help improve the look of skin and increase a woman’s confidence. It’s important as an injector, to be aware of the changes that a woman’s skin goes through during these times, and how to properly address them. It’s also important to stress proper skin care regimens and preventative procedures to help minimize the effects of menopause on the skin.